Should I talk to my doctor about my prepubescent vulvovaginitis symptoms?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Prepubescent vulvovaginitis is common among adolescents who have not yet reached puberty, as they run a higher risk of vaginal infection. However, multiple cases of vulvovaginitis or vaginal infections may be a sign of an underlying condition such as a reaction to soap chemicals, an allergy (such as to latex, for example), poor hygiene habits, use of clothing that traps heat and moisture (like nylon) or is too tight, or even a sexually transmitted disease, that may be caused by sexual abuse. It can also be caused by diabetes, chemotherapy, or the use of antibiotics. Talk to your doctor immediately if you experience symptoms of prepubescent vulvovaginitis for treatment.

Continue Learning about Vulvovaginitis

Can prepubescent vulvovaginitis be cured?
Girls with prepubescent vulvovaginitis typically respond well to treatment. The most common form of ...
What is trichomonal vulvovaginitis?
Trichomonal vulvovaginitis is inflammation of the vagina and vulva caused by the sexually transmitte...
What is nonspecific vulvovaginitis?
Nonspecific vulvovaginitis is a very common disease in children, which is characterized by an inflam...
Is prepubescent vulvovaginitis contagious?
Vulvovaginitis can be contagious depending on its cause. For instance, vulvovaginitis can be spread ...