How are vaginal infections diagnosed?

Your doctor can tell a lot about your vaginal infection by asking about your symptoms and looking at your health history. A pelvic exam may be done. A sample of the vaginal discharge can be analyzed microscopically to confirm the diagnosis. If a sexually transmitted infection is suspected, tests may done to confirm this. A nucleic acid amplification test (or NAAT) may be done; it works the same way as older tests but is a newer method of detecting disease by looking at the genetic material of the pathogen causing the infection.

Dr. Kevin W. Windom, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrician & Gynecologist)

A vaginal yeast infection is usually diagnosed by the patient when she notices a thick, cottage cheese discharge and significant itching. Most yeast infections are treated with over-the-counter medications, and the patient never seeks medical attention. When the patient seeks medical attention and I examine the patient, I look for the same signs and symptoms. If the diagnosis is somewhat confusing, then vaginal cultures are necessary to help diagnose this problem.

Continue Learning about Vulvovaginitis

How does bacterial vulvovaginitis affect the body?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Bacterial vulvovaginitis occurs when there is an abundance of certain "bad" bacteria in the body. Th...
What is trichomonal vulvovaginitis?
Trichomonal vulvovaginitis is inflammation of the vagina and vulva caused by the sexually transmitte...
What are vaginal infections?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Infections of the vagina are very common and affect millions of women. There are many types of vagin...
What are some ways I can restore vaginal pH levels to normal?
Lauren Streicher, MDLauren Streicher, MD
There are a number of products that can restore and/or maintain normal vaginal pH levels: RePhre...