Is nonspecific vulvovaginitis contagious?

Nonspecific vulvovaginitis can be contagious depending on its cause. For instance, vulvovaginitis can be spread through contact with an infected vulva if it is caused by a sexually transmitted disease or an overgrowth of bacteria or fungi. However, nonspecific vulvovaginitis cannot be spread if it is caused by an allergic reaction to chemicals in soap, condoms, or other contraceptives. Doctors typically recommend abstaining from all sexual activity while nonspecific vulvovaginitis is being treated to prevent further infection.

Continue Learning about Vulvovaginitis Risk Factors

How is bacterial vaginosis related to vaginal infections?
Bacterial vaginosis (BV) is a common type of vaginal infection and occurs when there is an excess of...
What increases my risk for bacterial vulvovaginitis?
Although it is not clear exactly what causes the disruption of normal vaginal bacteria, there are se...
What causes bacterial vulvovaginitis?
Bacterial vulvovaginitis is caused by an overgrowth of bacteria. The vagina normally houses many dif...
What increases my risk for trichomonal vulvovaginitis?
Dr. Angela Lowery, DNPDr. Angela Lowery, DNP
You are at increased risk of getting trichomonal vulvovaginitis by having unprotected sex, improper ...