How is bacterial vaginosis related to vaginal infections?

Bacterial vaginosis (BV) is a common type of vaginal infection and occurs when there is an excess of "bad" bacteria in the vagina. Symptoms of BV are a thin, gray or white discharge and a "fishy" smell. You may particularly notice the odor after sex. Some women do not have any symptoms. BV can cause serious complications for pregnant women, so it is important to get treated. BV is commonly treated with antibiotics, but it can recur.

Continue Learning about Vulvovaginitis Risk Factors

What increases my risk for vaginal infections?
There are some behaviors that can increase your risk of getting a vaginal infection. Having multiple...
Does the type of clothing I wear contribute to vaginal infections?
Certain types of clothing can create conditions that cause vaginal infections. Bacteria and yeast th...
Are vaginal infections always caused by bacteria or yeast?
Vaginal infections are not always caused by bacteria or yeast. There is something called "noninfecti...
Is bacterial vulvovaginitis contagious?
Bacterial vulvovaginitis is contagious through vulva-to-vulva contact. This means that female sexual...