What kinds of questions should I ask my doctor about vulvar cancer?

When seeing a doctor about vulvar cancer, be sure to ask your doctor questions that you really want answers to. Write them down and bring them with you to the appointment. Such questions might include:

• What is causing my symptoms?
  • What stage would you classify my cancer?
  • What tests should I expect?
  • What treatment options will I have?
  • How successful are such treatments?
  • What side effects should I expect from such treatments?

Continue Learning about Vulvar Cancer

Vulvar Cancer

Vulvar cancer develops when abnormal cells grow on the surface of a womans external genitalia.Developing slowly over years, cancer of the vulva affects the inner and outer vaginal lips called the labia minora and labia majora, the ...

opening to the vagina called the vestibule and the clitoris. See your doctor if you notice an itchy or painful lump or sore on your genitalia. Like other gynecologic cancers, the human papillomavirus (HPV) puts you at higher risk of developing this disease. You also have increased risk if youre over the age of 50, have been infected with HIV or have been diagnosed with cervical cancer. A pelvic exam can detect vulvar cancer. Chemotherapy and radiation therapy are commonly used to treat this cancer. Aggressive treatments may require removal of part or the entire vulva.