How should I prepare for my appointment to diagnose vulvar cancer?

To prepare for your doctor's appointment, first consider bringing a friend or family member with you to help you recall what the doctor says - and for emotional support. Make a list of your physical symptoms and a list of medications you are taking. Remember to include vitamins and supplements. Before the appointment, write down important personal information, including recent problems or stresses. Think about questions you will want to ask your doctor and write those down as well.

Continue Learning about Vulvar Cancer

Vulvar Cancer

Vulvar cancer develops when abnormal cells grow on the surface of a womans external genitalia.Developing slowly over years, cancer of the vulva affects the inner and outer vaginal lips called the labia minora and labia majora, the ...

opening to the vagina called the vestibule and the clitoris. See your doctor if you notice an itchy or painful lump or sore on your genitalia. Like other gynecologic cancers, the human papillomavirus (HPV) puts you at higher risk of developing this disease. You also have increased risk if youre over the age of 50, have been infected with HIV or have been diagnosed with cervical cancer. A pelvic exam can detect vulvar cancer. Chemotherapy and radiation therapy are commonly used to treat this cancer. Aggressive treatments may require removal of part or the entire vulva.