Should all volleyball players wear ankle braces?

Many volleyball players wear ankle braces as a preventative measure. No matter what age group or experience level, because of the amount of jumping and often awkward landing involved in the sport, extra support is normally beneficial. Although there may be some negative effects on ankle strength, those minor weaknesses can be taken care of with basic ankle strengthening exercises. Overall, ankle braces assist in ankle support and do a lot for injury prevention. (This answer provided for NATA by the Saint Louis University Athletic Training Education Program.)
No, all volleyball players should not wear ankle braces. Braces and tape should only be used when there has been an injury and the joint needs the additional support. When joints rely on braces or tape for protection, they actually tend to become weaker. When given the opportunity to strengthen through normal usage, the musculotendinous fibers become stronger and can protect the area without the use of a brace or tape.

Continue Learning about Volleyball

What does it mean to change levels in relation to volleyball?
Changing levels is anytime your belly button moves up or down such as during a lunge, a jump ser...
How can I prevent headaches after shoulder exercises in volleyball?
Tightness in the neck and upper back can lead to headaches. Make sure to begin with a warm-up us...
Should I stretch before or after volleyball practice?
Prior to practice, you should foam roll the tight areas in order to prime the muscle. You will t...
How can I assess my lateral speed for volleyball?
The shark skill test is a great assessment that measures front-to-back movement, lateral movemen...