Should I stretch before or after volleyball practice?

Prior to practice, you should foam roll the tight areas in order to prime the muscle. You will then perform an aerobic or dynamic warm-up. Beginning your activity by using the treadmill or bike for an aerobic warm-up is great for breaking a sweat, but this can worsen the tight areas. Show up a few minutes early to practice, foam roll first, then use the treadmill or begin your warm-up with the team. After practice, foam roll tight areas again and incorporate static stretching for tight muscles to reset muscle lengths and keep you performing optimally.

Continue Learning about Volleyball

Why do shoulder injuries seem to be so common in volleyball?
Due to the repetitive motion of the volleyball serve, the muscles on the front and back of the s...
What energy systems am I using when playing volleyball?
The energy system demands of a volleyball player are for the most part aerobic.  What is important...
How do I select knee pads for volleyball?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Key factors in selecting knee pads are the age of the athlete and the experience level of the athlet...
What are some movement characteristics seen in volleyball?
Volleyball can be characterized by movement patterns including first-step quickness, multiplanar mov...