What are the treatment options for stuttering?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Treatment options can range from speech therapy, stress reduction, and emotional support, to the use of electronic devices. Various medications have been proposed as treatments for stuttering, but research has deemed them mostly ineffective. It's important to work with a speech pathologist-an expert in speech-related issues-in determining the best treatment for you or your child. The best options will depend upon a number of different factors, including age and severity of symptoms.

Continue Learning about Voice Disorders

How is spasmodic dysphonia treated?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
Spasmodic dysphonia is a disorder of the muscles that control the vocal cords. The muscles spasm as ...
How can I learn to speak after laryngectomy?
Laryngeal cancer and its treatment can cause problems with talking. A speech-language pathologis...
What increases my risk for stuttering?
Having a parent or family member who stutters increases the likelihood that you or your child will s...
How is stuttering diagnosed?
Stuttering is a relatively easy-to-spot condition due to its distinctive symptoms. But doctors and s...