What is the rate of incidence for voice disorders?

Voice disorders can affect all people of all ages and are fairly common conditions. Certain types of voice disorders (and their underlying causes) are more typical of certain groups of people, however. For instance, singers, speakers, and children often overuse their voices and can consequently develop voice disorders. Smokers put themselves at greater risk of developing laryngitis and throat cancer, both conditions which can result in voice disorders. Older persons may develop voice disorders as a result of vocal chord atrophy, a condition which is unlikely to affect children. Because there are so many contributing causes of voice disorders, the rate of incidence for voice disorders in general is fairly high.

Continue Learning about Voice Disorders

How do voice disorders affect quality of life?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Voice disorders generally do not dramatically affect quality of life. In most cases, these condition...
What is para-linguistics?
Roughly 40 percent of what you communicate is achieved through the components of what's called para-...
What Increases My Risk for Voice Disorders?
What Can Be the Cause of a Chronically Hoarse Voice?