What increases my risk for voice disorders?

Behaviors such as smoking and vocal misuse (screaming, yelling, and speaking a lot or singing incorrectly) can profoundly increase your risk of developing a voice disorder. Other risk factors include throat infections, allergies, and exposure to inhaled irritants. While voice disorders are not always completely preventable, reducing risky behaviors such as smoking and vocal misuse can reduce your chances of developing one of these conditions.

Jonathan Aviv, MD
Ear, Nose & Throat (Otolaryngology)
Aside from using your voice incorrectly, smoking and what you eat are the most common causes of hoarseness and voice disorders. In this video, otolaryngologist Jonathan Aviv, MD, explains the factors that could increase your risk of voice problems. 

Continue Learning about Voice Disorders

Does stuttering affect children differently than adults?
Some stuttering is to be expected among children while they are first learning how to speak. Stutter...
How does stuttering affect the body?
The relationship between stuttering and the body is not completely known or understood. Stuttering c...
What Increases My Risk for Voice Disorders?
What Can Be the Cause of a Chronically Hoarse Voice?