How do voice disorders affect quality of life?

Voice disorders generally do not dramatically affect quality of life. In most cases, these conditions are reversible when their underlying causes are addressed. Instances in which voice disorders may affect quality of life include cases of throat cancer and cases in which invasive surgery is required to remove abnormal growths. Vocal weakness or paralysis, often the result of neurological conditions or certain cancers, can also have long-term effects on quality of life. The voice is an integral part of human communication and language; without it, people have to learn alternate communication techniques to compensate for their loss.

Continue Learning about Voice Disorders

Are there alternative treatments for stuttering?
As part of a speech therapy program, it is important to foster a supportive and calm environment to ...
Are there alternative treatments for voice disorders?
Voice disorders usually resolve without the need for extensive medical intervention or alternative t...
What Can Be the Cause of a Chronically Hoarse Voice?
What Increases My Risk for Voice Disorders?