How does surgery affect people with voice disorders?

In certain cases, the causes of voice disorders require surgery to be remedied. For instance, vocal polyps and nodules, which are abnormal growths on the vocal folds, sometimes need to be surgically removed. Follow-up vocal therapy can help to reduce the chances that growths will recur. In certain other cases, such as sometimes occurs with throat cancer, surgery will be needed to remove diseased tissue. This can mean removal of part or all of one or both vocal folds. This type of surgery can profoundly affect the voice and a person's ability to speak normally.

Continue Learning about Voice Disorders

What increases my risk for stuttering?
Having a parent or family member who stutters increases the likelihood that you or your child will s...
What are the symptoms of voice disorders?
Kenneth Altman, MDKenneth Altman, MD
Voice problems (dysphonia) are the symptoms of other physical and emotional issues. A person’s voice...
What Can Be the Cause of a Chronically Hoarse Voice?
What Increases My Risk for Voice Disorders?