What do I need to know about caring for someone with a voice disorder?

To care for someone with a voice disorder, it is helpful to know the underlying cause of the condition. Voice disorders have a wide array of causes, including inflammation or irritation of the vocal chords (laryngitis), polyps, nodules, contact ulcers, and even throat cancer. These various causes require specific and unique treatments: caring for someone with laryngitis is not the same as caring for someone with cancer. In general, most voice disorders are benign and reversible, and treatment involves vocal therapy and cessation of behaviors such as smoking. A person with a voice disorder may find it uncomfortable to speak, so allowing rest and providing fluids may be helpful. The best way to learn how to care for someone with a voice disorder is to consult with his or her doctor.

Continue Learning about Voice Disorders

How do I locate a speech pathologist to treat stuttering?
You can ask your primary care physician for a recommendation to a speech pathologist, an expert in s...
What are voice disorders?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Voice disorders are conditions that cause abnormal and spontaneous changes in the voice. Laryngitis,...
What Increases My Risk for Voice Disorders?
What Can Be the Cause of a Chronically Hoarse Voice?