How do medications treat voice disorders?

In general, medications are not required to treat voice disorders, although there may be circumstances in which medications are helpful. For instance, inflammation and infection of the vocal chords can sometimes be treated with medications. Specifically, cases of vocal irritation caused by acid reflux may resolve with medications that inhibit production of stomach acid. In cases of cancer, sometimes chemotherapy or pain medications are employed.

Continue Learning about Voice Disorders

How is spasmodic dysphonia treated?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
Spasmodic dysphonia is a disorder of the muscles that control the vocal cords. The muscles spasm as ...
Are there different types of catarrh?
There are two different types of catarrh. Acute catarrh is the type that is temporary; it lasts a fe...
What Increases My Risk for Voice Disorders?
What Can Be the Cause of a Chronically Hoarse Voice?