How does stuttering affect the body?

The relationship between stuttering and the body is not completely known or understood. Stuttering can be accompanied by physical symptoms such as rapid eye-lid movement and quivering lips. Research has shown that some people who stutter do so because of a neurological problem. In these cases, the brain's electrical signals that tell the person to speak do not coordinate properly with the muscles in the mouth, causing the speech difficulty. Other cases of stuttering are caused by genetic or, more rarely, psychological factors, and in these cases the relationship between the genetic/psychological component and the body is less clear.

Continue Learning about Voice Disorders

How is spasmodic dysphonia treated?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
Spasmodic dysphonia is a disorder of the muscles that control the vocal cords. The muscles spasm as ...
What is para-linguistics?
Roughly 40 percent of what you communicate is achieved through the components of what's called para-...
What Can Be the Cause of a Chronically Hoarse Voice?
What Increases My Risk for Voice Disorders?