How can I make my voice stronger?

Kenneth Altman, MD
Ear, Nose & Throat (Otolaryngology)
The voice is a complex phenomenon, with many various inputs. A weak voice can be the result of decreased pulmonary drive, incomplete closure of the vocal cords during vibration, or even depression or general fatigue. A complete voice evaluation by a laryngologist and voice therapist can help determine which of the many parts of your voice may be contributing to your weak voice, and what treatments (surgery, therapy, and medications) could help rebalance the entire instrument. Voice problems rarely have only one cause, and most require joint approaches involving physical treatment and therapy.

Continue Learning about Voice Disorders

Voice Disorders

Voice Disorders

Some of the most common symptoms of voice disorders are a change in your voice (it becomes either deeper or raspy), you have trouble singing, your throat feels raw or itchy and you find yourself repeatedly clearing your throat. Th...

ese symptoms can be caused by inflammation, respiratory infection, growths on your vocal cords or just by overusing your voice if you are for example a professional singer or a member of a cheerleading squad. If you develop a voice disorder, you may want to see an otolaryngologist to determine the cause of your voice problem.