Can voice disorders be prevented?

Voice disorders can often be prevented by avoiding certain behaviors. Since smoking and vocal strain can both contribute to the development of voice disorders, avoiding these behaviors can dramatically reduce your risk for voice disorders. Smoking irritates the vocal folds and can lead to conditions such as laryngitis and throat cancer. Vocal strain (yelling, speaking too much, and singing incorrectly) can wear on the vocal chords and contribute to the development of vocal polyps, contact ulcers, and vocal nodules. While voice disorders are sometimes brought on by conditions that can't be avoided, reducing risk behaviors can significantly increase your chances of prevention.

Continue Learning about Voice Disorders

Can medications affect my voice?
Kenneth Altman, MDKenneth Altman, MD
Because the voice reflects the general health of the individual, it is also very responsive to any m...
How do I locate a speech pathologist to treat stuttering?
You can ask your primary care physician for a recommendation to a speech pathologist, an expert in s...
What Can Be the Cause of a Chronically Hoarse Voice?
What Increases My Risk for Voice Disorders?