Are there alternative treatments for stuttering?

As part of a speech therapy program, it is important to foster a supportive and calm environment to help a person who stutters. In addition to speech therapy, some doctors recommend the use of an electronic device, placed in the ear that trains the person to speak more slowly. Another type of hearing device allows the person to hear their own speech and monitor it. It's not clear how effective this treatment is compared to other therapies.

Continue Learning about Voice Disorders

How do voice disorders affect the body?
Voice disorders are conditions that affect the vocal chords (folds of tissue located in the larynx t...
Are voice disorders serious?
Most voice disorder cases are not serious and can resolve when treated properly. Generally, vocal th...
What Can Be the Cause of a Chronically Hoarse Voice?
What Increases My Risk for Voice Disorders?