How would a doctor examine my throat?

Abie H. Mendelsohn, MD
Ear, Nose & Throat (Otolaryngology)
Conditions of the throat, including pain, infection, hoarseness and swallowing difficulty, should be evaluated by a close examination of the throat. Full examination of the throat begins with visualization of the mouth. A wooden tongue depressor is used to see the tonsils and uvula. The back wall of the throat can generally be seen during this initial view. However, deeper areas of the throat cannot be seen by this view and an endoscope can be helpful to view recessed areas including the base (back) of the tongue, the larynx (voice box) and the opening to the esophagus (swallowing tube). There are two types of endoscopes to examine the throat. The first is a flexible endoscope, which is placed through the nose towards the throat. The second is a rigid endoscope, which sits on the tongue and is angled downwards to view the throat without extending into the throat. 
A vocal cord examination can seem daunting. In this video, Dr. Oz demonstrates a machine that makes examining the throat and vocal cords easy and painless.

Continue Learning about Vocal Cord Dysfunction

What is the treatment for paralyzed vocal cords?
Kenneth Altman, MDKenneth Altman, MD
Paralyzed vocal cords can result from tumors, some surgeries, or viral infections when the nerve sup...
How Would a Doctor Examine My Throat?
How Would a Doctor Examine My Throat?