Why should I take vitamins if I'm a vegetarian?

Whether or not you should take a daily multivitamin to supplement your vegetarian diet depends on which vegetarian diet you follow. For example, if you're a vegan and don't eat fish, dairy or eggs, then your diet may not supply enough iron, calcium, vitamin D, vitamin B12 or zinc. In that case, you might want to consider taking a multivitamin that contains those nutrients.

Before you start popping a daily multi, though, talk to your doctor about your diet and whether you really need to take a supplement.
Vandana  R. Sheth
You don't necessarily need to take a vitamin supplement if you are a vegetarian. However, if you are vegan it might be a good idea to take a Vitamin B12 supplement since B12 is primarily found in animal products. As long as a vegetarian including a vegan diet is well planned and varied you can meet all of your nutritional needs through food.

Continue Learning about Vitamins

What Are the Risks Involved With Vitamin Injection Therapy?
Can Vitamin Therapy Treat ADHD?
Can Vitamin Therapy Treat ADHD?
Can Vitamins and Supplements Help Our Brain Function?
Are Multivitamins a Waste of Money?
Are Multivitamins a Waste of Money?