What vitamins should I take if I avoid the sun?

You may need to take a vitamin D supplement if you avoid the sun, but that depends on what you mean when you say "avoid." If you get even a few minutes of midday summer sunlight on your arms or legs -- and a bit more in winter -- your skin may be able to produce adequate amounts of vitamin D. If you get less than that, be sure to eat foods fortified with vitamin D, take a supplement or do both.
Vitamin D can be obtained through sun exposure and diet. It is much more important for you to protect yourself from the sun if you have a history of melanoma. That said, Vitamin D can be obtained from a variety of supplements or food, and you may want to discuss with your primary doctor whether supplements are in order.

Continue Learning about Vitamins

The Best Place to Store Vitamins
The Best Place to Store Vitamins
Keeping your vitamins fresh and potent longer means thinking like a real estate agent: location, location, location. And the worst location? Your bath...
What medical conditions can affect my body's ability to absorb vitamins?
West Valley Medical CenterWest Valley Medical Center
Certain medications, like antacids, can inhibit the body's ability to absorb vitamins. Gut disorders...
Is taking large amounts of vitamins good for you?
Taking large amounts of vitamins, any vitamin, can cause problems for the body. Vitamins A, D, E, K ...
If I Could Only Have One Vitamin, Which One Should I Take?