What vitamins should I take if I avoid the sun?

You may need to take a vitamin D supplement if you avoid the sun, but that depends on what you mean when you say "avoid." If you get even a few minutes of midday summer sunlight on your arms or legs -- and a bit more in winter -- your skin may be able to produce adequate amounts of vitamin D. If you get less than that, be sure to eat foods fortified with vitamin D, take a supplement or do both.
Vitamin D can be obtained through sun exposure and diet. It is much more important for you to protect yourself from the sun if you have a history of melanoma. That said, Vitamin D can be obtained from a variety of supplements or food, and you may want to discuss with your primary doctor whether supplements are in order.

Continue Learning about Vitamins