What is the right amount of a vitamin supplement to take?

Bryce B. Wylde
Alternative & Complementary Medicine
The right amount of vitamin supplement to take can vary. Your diet should provide most of the vitamins your body will need.

However, a doctor might determine that you are deficient in one or more vitamins or minerals and may want you to take a supplement. It’s important to understand the risk of taking too much of what you don’t need. But you should balance that against the risk of getting too little of a vitamin in which you are deficient. Ultimately, you need to test yourself to know your specific and very individual demands. And there are many accurate tests that can help you determine those needs.

Continue Learning about Vitamins

Banned Ingredients Still Found in Supplements
Don’t believe everything you hear when it comes to health supplements. It’s important to sleuth out -- and avoid -- harmful products advertised on TV,...
What vitamins are recommended for women in their 30s?
Scott PullenScott Pullen
What supplements, if any, one should take are affected not only by diet, but by one’s desired health...
8 Foods That Can Replace Your Multivitamin
8 Foods That Can Replace Your Multivitamin8 Foods That Can Replace Your Multivitamin8 Foods That Can Replace Your Multivitamin8 Foods That Can Replace Your Multivitamin
Skip the pharmacy and shop the produce department instead.
What Vitamins Should I Take to Slow Aging?