What should I know before I start taking a multivitamin?

Before you start taking a multivitamin, you should know that most people do not actually need multivitamins as balanced diets include the required vitamins. Therefore, most people are not likely to benefit from these vitamins. There are some vitamins that can actually be toxic if consumed in too great of doses. There are people with certain medical conditions who do not absorb nutrients in the diet normally, and these individuals may benefit from direct supplementation.

Continue Learning about Vitamins

Banned Ingredients Still Found in Supplements
Don’t believe everything you hear when it comes to health supplements. It’s important to sleuth out -- and avoid -- harmful products advertised on TV,...
How are water-soluble vitamins absorbed by the body?
Dariush Mozaffarian, MDDariush Mozaffarian, MD
Water-soluble vitamins are packed into the watery portions of the foods you eat. They are absorbed d...
8 Foods That Can Replace Your Multivitamin
8 Foods That Can Replace Your Multivitamin8 Foods That Can Replace Your Multivitamin8 Foods That Can Replace Your Multivitamin8 Foods That Can Replace Your Multivitamin
Skip the pharmacy and shop the produce department instead.
The Symptoms of a Vitamin B12 Deficiency