What medical conditions can affect my body's ability to absorb vitamins?

Certain medications, like antacids, can inhibit the body's ability to absorb vitamins. Gut disorders can also affect the ability to absorb vitamins.

Gastric or ileal disease can block absorption of vitamin B12. Cystic fibrosis, chronic liver disease, and short-bowel syndrome can impair the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins, such as vitamin E. Liver disease, kidney disease, or malabsorption maladies can trigger a deficiency of vitamin K, which is essential for blood clotting and may help keep bones healthy. A lack of stomach acid—which often occurs among the elderly—makes it hard to absorb calcium and vitamin B12 from food. Crohn's disease and conditions that affect the small intestine can interfere with vitamin D absorption. In addition, medications for many health conditions can interfere with the absorption of some vitamins and minerals.

Continue Learning about Vitamins

Calcium and Vitamin D: How Much is Enough?
We’ve all seen people who seem to have horrible osteoporosis — their backs are bent forward, their necks stooped. All of us want to prevent that -- bu...
What are the symptoms of vitamin B deficiency?
The effects of vitamin B deficiencies are diverse and include symptoms such as confusion, poor balan...
How do I know how much of a specific vitamin I need each day?
Howard S. SmithHoward S. Smith
In 1997, the Food and Drug Administration switched from using the Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA...
Can I Take Too Many Vitamins?
Can I Take Too Many Vitamins?