How do I know how much of a specific vitamin I need each day?

Howard S. Smith
Pain Medicine
In 1997, the Food and Drug Administration switched from using the Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) to the Recommended Daily Intake (RDI). If you do take vitamins, start with a multiple vitamin-mineral capsule that has RDI. This amount is the average daily dietary intake level that is sufficient for healthy adults. If you have more specific vitamin/mineral needs, talk with a registered nutritionist for expert advice.

Continue Learning about Vitamins

Banned Ingredients Still Found in Supplements
Don’t believe everything you hear when it comes to health supplements. It’s important to sleuth out -- and avoid -- harmful products advertised on TV,...
What critical vitamins should every woman be taking?
There are 13 essential vitamins, but the ones most critical to a woman's health vary depending on he...
8 Foods That Can Replace Your Multivitamin
8 Foods That Can Replace Your Multivitamin8 Foods That Can Replace Your Multivitamin8 Foods That Can Replace Your Multivitamin8 Foods That Can Replace Your Multivitamin
Skip the pharmacy and shop the produce department instead.
4 Things to Know Before Taking Herbal Remedies