How do I know how much of a specific vitamin I need each day?

Howard S. Smith
Pain Medicine
In 1997, the Food and Drug Administration switched from using the Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) to the Recommended Daily Intake (RDI). If you do take vitamins, start with a multiple vitamin-mineral capsule that has RDI. This amount is the average daily dietary intake level that is sufficient for healthy adults. If you have more specific vitamin/mineral needs, talk with a registered nutritionist for expert advice.

Continue Learning about Vitamins

Is Your Child Getting Too Many Vitamins?
Mr. T, CP3-Os, and Urkel Os were cereals once marketed to kids (in case they craved angry, extraterrestrial, nerdy foods). Today, celebrity tie-ins in...
Is there a vitamin that makes me feel full?
Joan Salge Blake, MS, RDJoan Salge Blake, MS, RD
Vitamins can't directly help you to feel full as they do not contain any calories. However, in order...
What are some supplements available for improving my brain health?
Lisa Marie RosatiLisa Marie Rosati
Here is a list of herbs that I use in to make a brain tonic. Used together they create a synergistic...
The New Supplement That’s More Than Just a Multivitamin