Who should not use prenatal vitamins with zinc?

Only people who have been prescribed prenatal vitamins with zinc by a doctor should take them. They are formulated for adult pregnant women and the levels of vitamins and minerals in them may be harmful to children. People who have shown sensitivities to certain vitamins or minerals in the past may also need to discuss other options with their doctors. People who use diuretics, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), heart medications, trimethoprim, blood pressure medications, sulfamethoxazole, isotretinoin, or tretinoin may need to have their doses altered before using prenatal vitamins with zinc. Always talk to your doctor about your medical history and current medications before starting a new medication.

Continue Learning about Vitamins

Banned Ingredients Still Found in Supplements
Don’t believe everything you hear when it comes to health supplements. It’s important to sleuth out -- and avoid -- harmful products advertised on TV,...
What vitamins can help protect my skin from sun damage?
Currently, there are no vitamins that protect your skin from sun damage. The most effective way to p...
7 Supplements You Probably Don’t Need
7 Supplements You Probably Don’t Need7 Supplements You Probably Don’t Need7 Supplements You Probably Don’t Need7 Supplements You Probably Don’t Need
Hit the kitchen before you head to the pharmacy—you can get nearly all your essential vitamins and minerals from food. Nearly 68 percent of Americans ...
If I Could Only Have One Vitamin, Which One Should I Take?