Can taking a multivitamin with vitamins B and D help increase energy?

Vitamins are by definition essential nutrients. B vitamins, in particular, are involved in enzyme systems that yield energy from the food we eat. If vitamin status is poor, then these enzyme systems do not operate at full capacity. This may be more noticeable if you are active. Supplementing with additional B vitamins can allow these systems to work at a higher capacity, allowing you to “feel” more energetic. It is important to note, however, that B vitamins do not provide energy on their own. They are not stimulants, like caffeine. If your B vitamin status is fine and you supplement with more, I would NOT expect an increase in energy. Vitamin D is important for normal health and functioning, but should not have any noticeable impact on energy levels.
The B vitamins are crucial in normal metabolism, which involves all the chemical and physical processes in the body that use or convert energy, from breathing to digesting your food. Fatigue is a common symptom of B12 deficiency, which causes anemia. Too little iron can also cause fatigue and anemia. If you are deficient in either of these nutrients, taking them in supplements may help you feel more energized.

Fatigue is not among the most common symptoms of vitamin D deficiency, which include thinning of bones. A lack of the vitamin can cause muscle weakness, though, and supplements can help, particularly in older people at risk of falls.

You should be able to meet your nutritional needs and feel energetic by eating a well-balanced diet. But if you think you may be deficient in vitamins B or D, iron or any nutrient, talk to your doctor about whether you need to take supplements.
You need B vitamins for your mitochondria to produce energy from glucose. Most of us absorb the B vitamins well (either in liquid or pill form), but 99 percent of us don't get enough from our diets. Take a multivitamin in the morning and evening (twice a day to keep stable levels, since we pee the water-soluble ones out) to keep you energized. Get your B and D levels checked yearly. You may be the rare person who doesn't absorb these well from your stomach and intestine and needs a B vitamin injection yearly. Much of the world is short of vitamin D -- and you need it to help fight cancer, to keep arteries young, and to aid brain function. So make sure you get it measured and take what is needed to keep its level normal.
You: Being Beautiful - The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty

Most people think that beauty revolves around such things as lipstick, sweet eyes, or skinny jeans -- all those things that we can see (and obsess over) in the mirror. But the fact is that beauty...

Continue Learning about Vitamins

When Antioxidant Supplements Are Risky
When Antioxidant Supplements Are Risky
In 2014 when Buffalo, New York, had record snow falls (and they often do!), the Buffalo Bills had to clear 220,000 tons of snow off their football fie...
What are some supplements available for improving my brain health?
Lisa Marie RosatiLisa Marie Rosati
Here is a list of herbs that I use in to make a brain tonic. Used together they create a synergistic...
8 Foods That Can Replace Your Multivitamin
8 Foods That Can Replace Your Multivitamin8 Foods That Can Replace Your Multivitamin8 Foods That Can Replace Your Multivitamin8 Foods That Can Replace Your Multivitamin
Skip the pharmacy and shop the produce department instead. About one-third of Americans take a multivitamin. These supplements typically contain a ble...
What Vitamins Should I Take to Slow Aging?