How many antioxidant vitamins do I need per day to stay young?

Taking the right amounts of antioxidant vitamins C and E, for example, can make your RealAge (physiologic age) as much as one year younger. Many people, however, wrongly believe that if a little bit of antioxidant is good, a lot is better. Too many antioxidants, especially the wrong type, can actually cause oxidation and its subsequent damage. My recommendation is to use antioxidation in moderation. Eat a balanced diet, with four servings of fruits and five to six servings of vegetables a day. Then, each day, take 600 milligrams (mg) or more (up to 2,000 mg) of vitamin C in divided doses separated by at least six hours, plus 400 international units (IU) of vitamin E. Take much less -- 100 mg of C and 50 IU of E -- twice a day if you are taking a statin drug such as simvastatin (Zocor), atorvastatin (Lipitor), or rosuvastatin (Crestor) for control of cholesterol levels. Vitamins C and E in excess dosage inhibit the ability of these statin drugs to make your blood vessels younger.

Continue Learning about Vitamins

Could You See Better With These Cataract-Fighting Foods?
To help reduce your risk of cataracts clouding your vision as you age, pluck these items out of your crisper drawer: bell peppers, broccoli and orange...
When can taking vitamin supplements be dangerous to my health?
Taking vitamin supplements may be dangerous to your health if you overdo it, which can lead to p...
8 Foods That Can Replace Your Multivitamin
8 Foods That Can Replace Your Multivitamin8 Foods That Can Replace Your Multivitamin8 Foods That Can Replace Your Multivitamin8 Foods That Can Replace Your Multivitamin
Skip the pharmacy and shop the produce department instead.
Extreme Vitamin Injections: The New Fountain of Youth? Pt 3