How many antioxidant vitamins do I need per day to stay young?

Taking the right amounts of antioxidant vitamins C and E, for example, can make your RealAge (physiologic age) as much as one year younger. Many people, however, wrongly believe that if a little bit of antioxidant is good, a lot is better. Too many antioxidants, especially the wrong type, can actually cause oxidation and its subsequent damage. My recommendation is to use antioxidation in moderation. Eat a balanced diet, with four servings of fruits and five to six servings of vegetables a day. Then, each day, take 600 milligrams (mg) or more (up to 2,000 mg) of vitamin C in divided doses separated by at least six hours, plus 400 international units (IU) of vitamin E. Take much less -- 100 mg of C and 50 IU of E -- twice a day if you are taking a statin drug such as simvastatin (Zocor), atorvastatin (Lipitor), or rosuvastatin (Crestor) for control of cholesterol levels. Vitamins C and E in excess dosage inhibit the ability of these statin drugs to make your blood vessels younger.

Continue Learning about Vitamins

Magnesium the Magnificent
Magnesium the Magnificent
Magnesium is used by 300 of your regulatory enzymes that control muscle, nerve, protein, bone, glucose and energy metabolism. However, eating processe...
What vitamins can I take to boost my metabolism?
There are no individual vitamins that will boost your metabolism and help you to lose weight sim...
Should I take vitamins even if I eat right?
If you eat a balanced, healthy diet, odds are you're getting all the vitamins and minerals you n...
How Much Vitamin D Should You Take?
How Much Vitamin D Should You Take?