Can I rely on vitamins in pill form to provide the nutrients my body needs?

Daniel R. Spogen, MD
Family Medicine
Vitamins may help your body to function but they do not provide the building blocks necessary to build and maintain bone, muscle, organs or other body parts. Those building blocks, such as fat, sugar and protein, come in the form of foods such as bread and meat. It is important to include a good variety of healthy foods in your diet including plenty of fruits and vegetables. This will ensure that you're not only getting enough of those vitamins but that you're also getting enough of those essential building blocks as well.

Continue Learning about Vitamins

Could You See Better With These Cataract-Fighting Foods?
To help reduce your risk of cataracts clouding your vision as you age, pluck these items out of your crisper drawer: bell peppers, broccoli and orange...
When should I start taking prenatal vitamins?
Dr. Kevin W. Windom, MDDr. Kevin W. Windom, MD
I tell all of my patients that they should start taking prenatal vitamins two to three months prior ...
8 Foods That Can Replace Your Multivitamin
8 Foods That Can Replace Your Multivitamin8 Foods That Can Replace Your Multivitamin8 Foods That Can Replace Your Multivitamin8 Foods That Can Replace Your Multivitamin
Skip the pharmacy and shop the produce department instead.
Can I Take Too Many Vitamins?
Can I Take Too Many Vitamins?