Can I rely on vitamins in pill form to provide the nutrients my body needs?

Daniel R. Spogen, MD
Family Medicine
Vitamins may help your body to function but they do not provide the building blocks necessary to build and maintain bone, muscle, organs or other body parts. Those building blocks, such as fat, sugar and protein, come in the form of foods such as bread and meat. It is important to include a good variety of healthy foods in your diet including plenty of fruits and vegetables. This will ensure that you're not only getting enough of those vitamins but that you're also getting enough of those essential building blocks as well.
People shouldn’t be relying on vitamins and minerals in pill form to provide the healthy nutrients their bodies need to work properly. Instead, focus your attention on getting your vitamins and minerals from the foods you eat.

Continue Learning about Vitamins