Can I rely on vitamins in pill form to provide the nutrients my body needs?

Daniel R. Spogen, MD
Family Medicine
Vitamins may help your body to function but they do not provide the building blocks necessary to build and maintain bone, muscle, organs or other body parts. Those building blocks, such as fat, sugar and protein, come in the form of foods such as bread and meat. It is important to include a good variety of healthy foods in your diet including plenty of fruits and vegetables. This will ensure that you're not only getting enough of those vitamins but that you're also getting enough of those essential building blocks as well.

Continue Learning about Vitamins

Is Your Child Getting Too Many Vitamins?
Mr. T, CP3-Os, and Urkel Os were cereals once marketed to kids (in case they craved angry, extraterrestrial, nerdy foods). Today, celebrity tie-ins in...
If I could only have one vitamin, which one should I take?
The body requires essential vitamins, but one may be more important than the others. Find out wh...
Which vitamins are most important for healthy skin?
Shirley M. Madhere, MDShirley M. Madhere, MD
When it comes to healthy skin, three vitamins are most important. In this video, plastic and rec...
Best Time to Take Your Calcium Supplement