Can my family doctor tell me what vitamins to take?

Your family doctor can give you advice regarding what vitamins, if any, to take. The only clear reason to take a vitamin supplement is if you are lacking in that vitamin. The best way to ensure that you are not lacking in any vitamins is to eat a healthy and well-balanced diet, including plenty of fruits and vegetables.
Your family doctor can be an excellent person to talk to about all of your nutritional needs, including taking vitamins. Family doctors specialize in general medicine and can offer advice on a broad range of health issues.

If your doctor determines that you need a more specialized nutritional consultation, you may be referred to a dietitian. Often family doctors and specialists, including dietitians, work together to optimize their patients' medical care.

Continue Learning about Vitamins