When is the best time to take vitamins to avoid stomach upset?

Dominique Adair
Fitness
First question you should ask yourself is “do I need these supplements?” I ask my patients to consider the world “supplement.” We supplement when something is deficient. We work on improving the diet and of course we supplement only with those nutrients that are missing or deficient. If you decide that you do need supplements, the best time to take them is with food, and when you’re not going to lie down for at least 30 minutes. Also, if you are taking multiple supplements, try to divide them up so you are not taking them all at once. Lastly, you might try changing the format or the brand. Some people experience less nausea/GI disturbance with a liquid preparation (though they are often more expensive) than a pill, gelcap, or tablet. 

Continue Learning about Vitamins

Is "Herbal Viagra" Safe?
Is "Herbal Viagra" Safe?
Think an herbal supplement that promises to enhance male sexual performance is too good to be true? You’re probably right. According to the federal Fo...
Which vitamins are important for good sex?
Ian Kerner, PhDIan Kerner, PhD
There are several found in a quality multivitamin that contribute to sexual arousal. The amino acid ...
8 Foods That Can Replace Your Multivitamin
8 Foods That Can Replace Your Multivitamin8 Foods That Can Replace Your Multivitamin8 Foods That Can Replace Your Multivitamin8 Foods That Can Replace Your Multivitamin
Skip the pharmacy and shop the produce department instead.
How to Avoid Vitamin and Prescription Drug Interactions