What should I know before my child uses Nail-ex?

Before your child uses Nail-ex, check with your child's doctor to make sure the supplement is safe and recommended.

Nail-ex is a dietary supplement that contains 2,500 micrograms (mcg) of biotin, a B vitamin present naturally in the body and in some foods. The National Academy of Sciences has determined that an adequate daily intake of biotin for children can range from 5 mcg in newborns to 25 mcg in children ages 14 to 18. Most children can meet their biotin needs by eating foods that contain the nutrient, such as eggs, nuts and nut butters, soybeans and other legumes, bananas, and whole-grain products.

Nail-ex supplements contain about 100 times the levels of biotin considered adequate for children. If the doctor suspects your child has a biotin deficiency, a supplement may be prescribed. Do not give your child Nail-ex, or any other dietary supplement, without first consulting the doctor.