What should I know before my child uses Meribin?

Before your child uses Meribin, check with your child's doctor to make sure the supplement is safe and recommended.

Meribin is a dietary supplement that contains 5 milligrams (mg) of biotin, a B vitamin present naturally in the body and in some foods. The National Academy of Sciences has determined that an adequate daily intake of biotin for children can range from 5 micrograms (mcg) for newborns to 25 mcg for children ages 14 to 18. Most children can meet their biotin needs by eating foods that contain the nutrient (biotin-rich foods include eggs, nuts and nut butters, soybeans and other legumes, bananas, and whole-grain products). If the doctor suspects your child has a biotin deficiency, he or she may prescribe a supplement. Do not give your child Meribin -- or any other dietary supplement -- without first consulting a doctor.