What is the role of biotin in my body?

Biotin is a water-soluble B vitamin that supports the metabolism of carbohydrates, fats and amino acids. Though rare, a biotin deficiency can result in hair loss and rashes around the eyes, nose and mouth, as well as an increased vulnerability to bacterial and fungal infections.

Diabetes Prevention
Type 2 diabetics often have low levels of biotin, which seems to interfere with the body’s ability to properly utilize glucose. Researchers believe that biotin is involved in the synthesis and release of insulin, and preliminary studies suggest that it may help improve blood sugar control.

Biotin also has some cosmetic benefits. Animal husbandry researchers found that fortifying feed with biotin helped treat hoof abnormalities in horses and hogs.. Could biotin also strengthen brittle nails among humans? Researchers found that increased biotin intake did indeed thicken nails by 25 percent. Aim to get your biotin from your diet since no safe upper limit has been established.

Continue Learning about Biotin

Ways Biotin Can Skew Test Results
Ways Biotin Can Skew Test Results
Bio-fuel, biotin supplements and biosphere: Which “bio” does the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recommend you avoid if you want to get a proper re...
What side effects does biotin cause?
Biotin, also known as vitamin B7, has no known side effects if taken at the recommended dosage. ...
Are there any risks in taking biotin?
There have been no side effects or risks reported from using biotin. It is a water-soluble vitam...
Should I let my doctor know I am taking biotin?
If you have a biotin deficiency, your doctor should be aware of this condition and help you regu...