Can vitamin K reduce my risk of developing insulin resistance?

The vitamin K in greens like kale and spinach may reduce your chances of developing insulin resistance -- a major risk factor for diabetes.

In a study, people who took vitamin K supplements for 36 months had lower blood levels of insulin and experienced improved insulin resistance compared with an unsupplemented control group. Contrary to other studies, only the men benefited from K -- possibly because more of the women were overweight or obese. These conditions contribute significantly to insulin resistance and diminish the body's response to vitamin K.

How does vitamin K boost insulin function? The researchers aren't quite sure, but they suspect it helps quench inflammation, for one. And although more research is needed to confirm the study's findings, you can't go wrong eating dark leafy greens and other vitamin K-packed foods, since they boost your health in numerous other ways.

Continue Learning about Vitamin K

What are the health benefits of vitamin K for women?
Dole Nutrition InstituteDole Nutrition Institute
Vitamin K helps strengthen the bones and is thought to lower the risk of fractures. Research shows t...
How can I take vitamin K?
Try as much as possible to get the vitamin K you need from the foods you eat. If this is not pos...
Balance Your Cholesterol With Vitamin K
Balance Your Cholesterol With Vitamin K
Which Foods Are High In Vitamin K?
Which Foods Are High In Vitamin K?