Can vitamin K help protect my bones?

David Slovik, MD
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
Vitamin K helps produce osteocalcin, a protein that is instrumental in bone formation. It also blocks substances that break down bone and helps regulate calcium excretion from the body in urine.

A study published in the journal Maturitas concluded that therapy with vitamins D and K might increase bone mass in postmenopausal women. Researchers have also found that getting ample vitamin K protects against hip fracture. According to the Nurses' Health Study, women who got at least 100 micrograms (mcg) of vitamin K a day were 30% less likely to break a hip than women who got less than that amount. Similarly, the Framingham Heart Study found that participants who got the most vitamin K were less likely to break a hip than those who got the least.

Continue Learning about Vitamin K

How much vitamin K should I consume per day?
Academy of Nutrition and DieteticsAcademy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Teens ages 14 to 18 are advised to consume 75 micrograms per day of vitamin K. Adult men are advised...
How does vitamin K work?
Vitamin K, a fat-soluble vitamin, is stored in your fat tissue and liver until it is needed to h...
Which Foods Are High In Vitamin K?
Which Foods Are High In Vitamin K?
Balance Your Cholesterol With Vitamin K
Balance Your Cholesterol With Vitamin K