Why should I avoid vitamin E supplements if I take a statin?

Leopold D. Galland, MD
If you are taking statins, avoid taking vitamin E. Vitamin E supplements can deplete your body of coenzyme Q10 by increasing its rate of breakdown. The depletion of coenzyme Q10 by statins and vitamin E is likely to be additive. This interaction may explain the scientific data that vitamin E supplements can interfere with the life-saving benefits of statins and increase the severity of heart failure in people with heart disease. High doses of vitamin E (more than 100 international units a day) should not be mixed with statins.

Continue Learning about Vitamin E