Why should I avoid vitamin E supplements if I take a statin?

Leopold D. Galland, MD
If you are taking statins, avoid taking vitamin E. Vitamin E supplements can deplete your body of coenzyme Q10 by increasing its rate of breakdown. The depletion of coenzyme Q10 by statins and vitamin E is likely to be additive. This interaction may explain the scientific data that vitamin E supplements can interfere with the life-saving benefits of statins and increase the severity of heart failure in people with heart disease. High doses of vitamin E (more than 100 international units a day) should not be mixed with statins.

Continue Learning about Vitamin E

Vitamin E and Prostate Cancer
Vitamin E and Prostate Cancer
Prostate cancer is the most common cancer among men and the second leading cause of cancer death among men in the U.S., so it's understandable that gu...
Should I stop taking vitamin E supplements because of the SELECT study?
Dwight L. McKee, MDDwight L. McKee, MD
Despite the results of the SELECT (Selenium and Vitamin E Cancer Prevention Trial) study, it's s...
How can vitamin E help keep my skin healthy?
Ben KaminskyBen Kaminsky
Vitamin E is important for the maintenance of cell membranes, and many metabolic processes in th...
What Are Good Sources of Vitamin E?
What Are Good Sources of Vitamin E?