What are the risks of taking too much vitamin E?

Dariush Mozaffarian, MD
Despite evidence that vitamin E supplements don't help and may even be harmful, some people still take these supplements. If you take more than 800 mg per day, you risk side effects such as bleeding, headache, fatigue, and blurred vision. To be on the safe side, talk with your doctor before taking more than the Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for vitamin E to avoid increasing your risk of bleeding, especially if you also take the blood thinner warfarin (Coumadin).

Continue Learning about Vitamin E

Vitamin E and Prostate Cancer
Vitamin E and Prostate Cancer
Prostate cancer is the most common cancer among men and the second leading cause of cancer death among men in the U.S., so it's understandable that gu...
Should I let my doctor know I take vitamin E?
Always talk to your doctor before taking any new supplement or drug to avoid possible interactio...
What is D-Alpha Gems used for?
Karen L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RNKaren L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RN
D-Alpha Gems are used to treat low levels of vitamin E.
Which Food Can Help Make Up a Vitamin E Shortfall In My Diet?