What is natural vitamin E?

Joel H. Fuhrman, MD
Family Medicine
Natural vitamin E is a very complex, fat-soluble chemical structure that includes alpha, beta, gamma, and delta tocopherols and tocotrienols, present in the leaves and seeds of plants. It is a potent antioxidant and free-radical scavenger, and it regulates immune system activity and is essential for life. Its benefits are not equaled by synthetic vitamin E supplements with only one or two vitamin E isomers. Comparing the many forms of vitamin E in sesame seed to the vitamin E in a supplement is like comparing a real horse to a toy horse. Sesamin, a sesame lignan, also has beneficial effects to improve postmenopausal hormonal status, raise antioxidant activity in body cells, decrease risk of breast cancer, and lower cholesterol.
Super Immunity: The Essential Nutrition Guide for Boosting Your Body's Defenses to Live Longer, Stronger, and Disease Free

In Super Immunity, world-renowned health expert and New York Times bestselling author of Eat to Live Dr. Joel Fuhrman offers a nutritional guide to help you live longer, stronger, and disease...

Vitamin E is a fat soluble vitamin and a powerful antioxidant. Vitamin E occurs naturally in vegetables oils such as corn and olive oils, peanut butter, sunflower seeds, almonds, and wheat germ.

Continue Learning about Vitamin E

Vitamin E and Prostate Cancer
Vitamin E and Prostate Cancer
Prostate cancer is the most common cancer among men and the second leading cause of cancer death among men in the U.S., so it's understandable that gu...
What should I avoid while taking vitamin E?
There is no food or beverage that you have to avoid while taking vitamin E. Avoid taking more vitami...
What is the generic name for Aquasol E?
Karen L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RNKaren L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RN
Vitamin E is the generic name for Aquasol E.
Which Food Can Help Make Up a Vitamin E Shortfall In My Diet?