What should I know before using vitamin E supplements?

Overconsumption of the synthetic form of vitamin E that is found in supplements and/or fortified foods could pose risks.

Because vitamin E can act as an anticoagulant and interfere with blood clotting, excess amounts in your body increase the risk of hemorrhage. Because of this, the upper level from supplements and/or fortified foods is 1,000 milligrams for adults. This applies only to healthy individuals consuming adequate amounts of vitamin K. (Vitamin K also plays a role in blood clotting. A deficiency of vitamin K can exacerbate the anticoagulant effects of vitamin E.)

Individuals taking anticoagulant medication and vitamin E supplements should be monitored by their physician to avoid the serious situation in which the blood can’t clot quickly enough to stop the bleeding from a wound.

Always consult with your health care provider and a registered dietitian before taking a vitamin supplement. To find a registered dietitian in your area, please visit: www.eatright.org.

Continue Learning about Vitamin E

Vitamin E and Prostate Cancer
Vitamin E and Prostate Cancer
Prostate cancer is the most common cancer among men and the second leading cause of cancer death among men in the U.S., so it's understandable that gu...
What are good sources of vitamin E?
Academy of Nutrition and DieteticsAcademy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Vitamin E is found naturally in foods and is added to some fortified foods, including: Vegetable...
What dosage of vitamin E is typically used for adults?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
This is a complex group including four tocopherols and four tocotrienols known as alpha, beta, gam...
Which Food Can Help Make Up a Vitamin E Shortfall In My Diet?