What are some sources of vitamin E?

Vitamin E is a fat soluble vitamin and a potent antioxidant. Sources of vitamin E include:

• Wheat germ
  • Peanut butter
  • Almonds
  • Soy milk
  • Sunflower seeds
  • Almonds
  • Corn oil
  • Olive oil
Picture of sunflower seeds
Elizabeth Casparro, MPH,RD

The best sources of vitamin E are plant sources. Nuts, seeds, vegetable oils and dark leafy green vegetables are the best. Just 1 ounce of sunflower seeds actually gives you all of the vitamin E an average individual needs for the day! Vitamin E is also a fat-soluble vitamin (meaning best absorbed with fat); so if you choose dark leafy greens as your source, be sure to cook it with vegetable oils or use a vegetable oil based salad dressing.

The best food sources are cold-pressed seed oils, wheat germ, nuts, seeds, mango, and green leafy vegetables like broccoli, chard, kohlrabi, pumpkin, spinach, and greens of dandelion, mustard and turnip. You can also find vitamin E in meat, fish, poultry, clams, mackerel, salmon, and shrimp.
Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine

The best sources of vitamin E are wheat germ oil and polyunsaturated vegetable oils, seeds, and nuts. Good sources are asparagus, avocados, green leafy vegetables, tomatoes, and whole grains.

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

From the bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, the most comprehensive and practical guide available to the nutritional benefits and medicinal properties of virtually everything...

Continue Learning about Vitamin E

Can vitamin E help reduce my risk of heart disease or stroke?
Dariush Mozaffarian, MDDariush Mozaffarian, MD
As is the case with many vitamins, observational studies suggested that people with higher vitamin E...
What is the role of vitamin E in my body?
Joan Salge Blake, MS, RDJoan Salge Blake, MS, RD
Vitamin E is a fat soluble vitamin and is sometimes referred to as a vitamin in need of a disease to...
Which Food Can Help Make Up a Vitamin E Shortfall In My Diet?
Do Selenium and Vitamin E Help Prevent Prostate Cancer?