Should I let my doctor know I take vitamin E?

Always talk to your doctor before taking any new supplement or drug to avoid possible interactions with other medicines you may take or existing health issues you may have. Be sure to talk to your doctor before taking vitamin E if you have allergies, bleeding problems or are taking medications such as dicumarol or warafin, so he or she can monitor your dose closely. If you're pregnant, plan to become pregnant or are breastfeeding, consult your doctor before taking vitamin E.

Yes!

Because vitamin E can act as an anticoagulant and interfere with blood clotting, excess amounts in your body increase the risk of hemorrhage. Because of this, the upper level from supplements and/or fortified foods is 1,000 milligrams for adults. This applies only to healthy individuals consuming adequate amounts of vitamin K. (Vitamin K also plays a role in blood clotting. A deficiency of vitamin K can exacerbate the anticoagulant effects of vitamin E.)

Individuals taking anticoagulant medication and vitamin E supplements should be monitored by their physician to avoid the serious situation in which the blood can’t clot quickly enough to stop the bleeding from a wound. 
You should always speak to your health care provider and a registered dietitian before consuming any vitamin supplements.

Continue Learning about Vitamin E

Vitamin E and Prostate Cancer
Vitamin E and Prostate Cancer
Prostate cancer is the most common cancer among men and the second leading cause of cancer death among men in the U.S., so it's understandable that gu...
How does vitamin E help my brain stay sharp?
Dole Nutrition InstituteDole Nutrition Institute
“Vitamin E is one of the most potent antioxidants in animal and lab studies,” says Martha Clare Morr...
How should I take vitamin E?
You should always take vitamin E as it is directed by your doctor or the instructions on the packagi...
Get Vitamin E from Food, Not Dietary Supplements