How does vitamin E affect aging of the arteries?

Vitamin E reduces the size of fatty buildup only before the arteries have become fibrotic (permanently hardened) -- that is, when there is fatty buildup but no irreversible changes. Vitamin E seems to help reduce the size of small or medium-size lesions in the arteries but not severe ones. That is why you want to start taking these vitamins as soon as possible, to foil aging before it begins.

Continue Learning about Vitamin E

Vitamin E and Prostate Cancer
Vitamin E and Prostate Cancer
Prostate cancer is the most common cancer among men and the second leading cause of cancer death among men in the U.S., so it's understandable that gu...
What is vitamin E?
Vitamin E is a fat-soluble, antioxidant vitamin, also called alpha-tocopherol. Medically,vitamin E i...
What should I know before using vitamin E supplements?
Joan Salge Blake, MS, RDJoan Salge Blake, MS, RD
Overconsumption of the synthetic form of vitamin E that is found in supplements and/or fortified foo...
Which Food Can Help Make Up a Vitamin E Shortfall In My Diet?