Does vitamin E help osteoarthritis?

Dr. Grant Cooper, MD
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Specialist

Vitamin E is a powerful antioxidant. French scientists showed that 6 weeks of vitamin E supplementation in mice reduced the progression of bone and cartilage destruction, when compared with mice that were not given supplements.

German physicians showed that supplementation with 400 IU of vitamin E daily for 6 weeks reduced pain twice as much as a placebo. Another study found that 400 IU per day of vitamin E relieved arthritis pain symptoms more effectively than nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), including aspirin, ibuprofen, and acetaminophen.

One part of the Framingham study showed that people who consumed 6-11 mg of vitamin E daily were significantly less likely to experience progression of arthritis of the knee than were people who consumed 2-5 mg. These dosages are much lower than usually given; vitamin E toxicity has been seen at doses of 3,000 IU per day for more than 7 weeks.

The Arthritis Handbook: Improve Your Health and Manage the Pain of Osteoarthritis (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

According to conventional wisdom, arthritis pain is an inevitable part of aging. Not so, says Dr. Grant Cooper in this practical, accessible guide. For those who do develop osteoarthritic conditions,...

At this point, we highly doubt it. Some studies have found that vitamin E supplements may help reduce symptoms in people with osteoarthritis but others have not. So we give it an E for effort, but not for evidence.

Continue Learning about Vitamin E

Vitamin E and Prostate Cancer
Vitamin E and Prostate Cancer
Prostate cancer is the most common cancer among men and the second leading cause of cancer death among men in the U.S., so it's understandable that gu...
What side effects does Vitamin E cause?
Karen L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RNKaren L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RN
There are two types of reactions, serious and common. The serious reactions require you to seek medi...
How should I store D-Alpha Gems?
D-Alpha Gems should be stored in their original container and kept out of the reach of children. The...
Which Food Can Help Make Up a Vitamin E Shortfall In My Diet?