Can vitamin E help reduce my risk of cancer?

Dariush Mozaffarian, MD
Some studies have linked higher vitamin E intakes with a lower risk of breast and prostate cancers, but not consistently. And findings from the Women's Health Study, in which healthy women ages 45 and older took 600 IU of vitamin E or a placebo every other day for 10 years, showed no difference in cancer rates between the two groups.

The National Cancer Institute halted a study designed to test whether 200 micrograms (mcg) of selenium and 400 IU of vitamin E, taken alone or in combination, could lower the risk of prostate cancer. The trial was slated to last eight years but was stopped after just five. Researchers had grown concerned that taking the supplements might do more harm than good, based on a slight increase in prostate cancer rates among the men taking vitamin E alone.

Continue Learning about Vitamin E

What are good sources of vitamin E?
Academy of Nutrition and DieteticsAcademy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Vitamin E is found naturally in foods and is added to some fortified foods, including: Vegetable...
What should seniors know before using Aquasol E?
Karen L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RNKaren L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RN
Prior to using Aquasol E, you should consult your health care provider. There are many medical condi...
Which Food Can Help Make Up a Vitamin E Shortfall In My Diet?
Get Vitamin E from Food, Not Dietary Supplements