Will a vitamin D deficiency during pregnancy hurt my baby?

Dr. Robin Miller, MD
Vitamin D is essential for optimal mommy and baby health, but will a deficiency really hurt the baby? In this video, Dr. Robin Miller explains why all pregnant women should be on a vitamin D supplement.

If you're pregnant, a vitamin D deficiency may be risky for your baby. Researchers at the University of Pittsburgh found that pregnant women who had low levels of vitamin D in their blood were at increased risk of preeclampsia, a condition in which high blood pressure and high levels of protein in the urine can require premature delivery of the baby and cause disability or death of the mom.

Research also has linked vitamin D deficiency during pregnancy to potentially long-term problems in children, including impaired growth, skeletal problems, type 1 diabetes and asthma. If you're pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant, talk to your doctor about whether you need to have your vitamin D levels tested and whether you and your baby might benefit if you take vitamin D supplements.

Continue Learning about Vitamin D

Jump-start Your Well-being with Vitamin D
Turns out, vitamin D has more power to protect your happiness, heart and lungs than was previously known. A study in the European Journal of Preventi...
How does vitamin D affect my brain as I age?
Some experts think that vitamin D might help protect brain cells from damage as we age. For exam...
How is vitamin D deficiency diagnosed?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
Vitamin D deficiency can be diagnosed with a simple blood test. Laboratories vary on what they consi...
How Much Vitamin D Do I Need Each Day?
How Much Vitamin D Do I Need Each Day?