Why is vitamin D deficiency on the increase?

Vitamin D deficiency is increasing for several reasons.
  • More sunscreen use. Your skin uses sunlight to make vitamin D, and sunscreen interferes with this process. (Depending on where you live, among other factors, just 10 or 15 minutes of sun exposure on unprotected skin three times a week is enough to synthesize adequate vitamin D. The American Academy of Dermatology says that even brief exposure of unprotected skin raises the risk of cancer, and argues that people should get vitamin D through food or supplements.)
  • Lifestyle. People are spending more time indoors and less time in the sun these days, another trend that curtails vitamin D production in the skin.
  • Rise in obesity. Studies show that obese people tend to have lower blood levels of vitamin D than normal-weight individuals. Vitamin D is a fat-soluble vitamin, so it's possible that if a person has more fat, vitamin D will be stored there rather than circulating in the bloodstream.
  • An aging population. The increase in the number of older people is another reason for the rise in vitamin D deficiency. With age, the skin is less able to make vitamin D.

Continue Learning about Vitamin D

Bad Bones? On Your Feet
Bad Bones? On Your Feet
The risk of falls goes up pretty dramatically when you have weak bones and muscles. That's bad news, because a fall can easily lead to a bad break. An...
Can I get enough vitamin D from milk and food?
Dariush Mozaffarian, MDDariush Mozaffarian, MD
Vitamin D, a fat-soluble vitamin, is unique because it's found naturally in only a few foods. Fatty ...
How can I tell if I might have a vitamin D deficiency?
The sternum thumb test may indicate if you are getting enough vitamin D. This vitamin is crucial whe...
Why Should I Consume Vitamin D If I Want to Lose Weight?