What should I know before taking vitamin D?

The typical maximum amount per day of vitamin D is 2000 international units. Larger doses may be unsafe and result in high levels of calcium in the system. Some conditions, such as hypoparathyroidism, may require much higher levels for one to two weeks. Also, you should remember that vitamins are considered supplements. Herbs and supplements are not regulated by the United States Food and Drug Administration. So read the label carefully since there is no guarantee on safety, purity, strength, or effectiveness.

Continue Learning about Vitamin D

Jump-start Your Well-being with Vitamin D
Turns out, vitamin D has more power to protect your happiness, heart and lungs than was previously known. A study in the European Journal of Preventi...
How does where I live affect how much vitamin D I get?
Where you live may be giving you a vitamin D deficiency. In this video, Dr. Oz and Dr. Linda Lee...
Why is it important for my daughter to get enough vitamin D?
Experts are concerned about low levels of vitamin D3 in kids -- especially girls because it's been c...
Can I Get Enough Vitamin D Through Exposure to Sunlight?