What are the health benefits of sunlight?

Dr. Pina LoGiudice, LAc, ND
Naturopathic Medicine
Adequate sunlight is an important part of nature to help keep our circadian rhythms in healthy motion, as well as help convert vitamin D in our skin. One study from the National Cancer Institute showed that ovarian and prostate cancers occurred less in people who get regular sun. And people who received regular sun as a part of their work day have even greater reductions in breast and colon cancer too. The only group that had increased cancer rates was in non-melanoma skin cancer -- so people at higher risk for skin cancer may need to limit exposure.

One of the reasons sunlight may be helpful is due to the increased levels of vitamin D in our bodies from sunlight.

Continue Learning about Vitamin D

Jump-start Your Well-being with Vitamin D
Turns out, vitamin D has more power to protect your happiness, heart and lungs than was previously known. A study in the European Journal of Preventi...
How much vitamin D supplementation do I need if I am vitamin D deficient?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Because many older peoples' diets are deficient in vitamin D, a vitamin D supplement, often in combi...
How does modern living contribute to vitamin D deficiency or insufficiency?
Dariush Mozaffarian, MDDariush Mozaffarian, MD
Humans first evolved near the equator in Africa, where the sun shines directly overhead for much of ...
What Are Health Benefits of Vitamin D?
What Are Health Benefits of Vitamin D?